- To enforce labour laws and international agreements as follows:
1Employment Act [Act 265]2Employees’ Minimum Standards of Housing, Accommodation and Amenities Act 1990
[Act 446]3National Wages Consultative Council Act 2011
[Act 732]4Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007
[Act 670]5Children and Young Persons (Employment) Act 1966
[Act 350]6Minimum Retirement Age Act 2012 [Act 753]7Private Employment Agencies Act 1981 [Act 246]8Employment (Restriction) Act 1968 [Act 353]9Employment Information Act 1953 [Act 159]10Pembangunan Sumber Manusia Berhad Act 2001 [Act 612]11Weekly Holidays Act 1950 [Act 220]12Holidays Act 1951 [Act 369]
- To study, review and enact amendments of labour laws, regulations, and orders as needed.
- To plan and carry out labour education programs and promotional programs relating to the enforcement of the national labour legislations, focusing on laws enforced by the department.
- To manage, handle and solve labour complaints.
- To manage, handle and solve employee’ and employers’ labour disputes through the Labour Court.
- To handle and deal with sexual harassment complaints at workplace.
- To manage human resources, finances, acquisitions, assets, and the development and administration of department's logistics.
- To manage employees’ retrenchment activities.
- To process and investigate applications for certificate of accommodation under Act 446.
- To process and investigate applications for foreign workers.
- To process applications of labour permits.
- To process application of private employment agencies’ licences.